Recommendations for employees
If you find remote work stressful, check if you can introduce some of following changes which may help you to remain effective and more relaxed:
- Set ground rules with the people you live with - teach them that being at home does not always mean that you are available for them.
- Develop routines: (1) arrange your workspace, (2) maintain regular working hours, (3) schedule breaks (you need to move around and to see something other than your files and the computer screen). If children are at home, you could have some short physical activity with them - they will be happy, and you will relax your body at the same time.
- Be mindful- do not ignore signals of discomfort in your body (investing in a good chair is essential for your physical comfort) and mind (preferably do not use your bedroom as an office)
- Do not hesitate to ask for help if you need it, and make sure to keep in touch with your colleagues (socially with coffee breaks and formally with meetings) or with an occupational health professional.
- If you have a problem with focusing your attention or believe that your effectiveness is diminished, consider joining a self-help social media group to exchange experiences and to develop fresh motivation. You can also use apps which may help you to organise your working time.
- Develop the habit of protecting your files before you leave your computer – pets and children can always find a way to destroy what you have already done.
The EMPOWER project has received funding from the European Union's Horizon 2020 Research and Innovation Programme under Grant Agreement No. 848180